My photo
Niagara Region, Canada
Team905 Cycling Team is dedicated to providing cyclist an opportunity to be involved in a competitive, but also community focused cycling team. Our objective is to remain active while contributing to an eco-friendly life style and providing unique visibility to local businesses that support our team. We will be respectful to our fellow cyclist and citizens in an effort to grow awareness about cycling benefits, physically, mentally, and environmentally.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Niagara's Cold 2013 Spring - Dr. Stephen Cheung

This is an email response from Stephen when asked if he wanted to ride this past Wednesday (April 10, 2013). It's important to note that Stephens research specialty is humans in extreme temperatures!

Well, you missed Noah's Ark coming out for a sail last night, not to mention some fun with hypothermia for me. Seriously, I have not been THAT cold outside of my own lab for at least the last decade (after a race in Nova Scotia April 2002). Was caught completely under-dressed too and bailed after the first lap of the club race after attacking like crazy didn't warm me up. I was shaking so uncontrollably that I either couldn't grip the handlebars, or else when I did I had the worst case of top-tube shimmy ever, such that I thought my front end was going to snap off. That made descending Haist really fun, especially with wet carbon rims!

Spent about 30 min freezing in a hot shower and hyperventilating/shivering before I got remotely close to warm again.

I've got a few degrees worth of experience with hypothermia, and that wasn't fun! So needless to say, I'm staying indoors tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment